Preview: South American qualifiers
– Top 4 nations qualify directly for the 2014 World Cup
– 5th Place teams faces Jordan in a home-and-away series in November for 1 spot in Brazil 2014.
– Argentina have qualified; Peru, Bolivia and Paraguay cannot qualify.
Friday, October 11, 2013:
5:00pm ET Colombia v Chile (LIVE on beinsportplay.tv)
– Colombia qualify directly for the World Cup with a win or draw. Chile qualify with a win. The loser of this match, if there is one, will have all the pressure on them come Tuesday.
5:00pm ET Ecuador v Uruguay (LIVE on beINSport-ñ)
– Truly the match of the day in South America. The winner would take a giant step toward qualifying directly for Brazil 2014. Ecuador are in the driver seat not only for having home field but also sitting on a better goal difference. But in truth, both teams have maximum incentive to go for a win.
5:00pm ET Venezuela v Paraguay (LIVE on beinsportplay.tv)
– Venezuela are still alive but with this being their final match of qualifying, they need to win convincingly AND have Uruguay to lose both of their remaining matches AND to make up the current 6-goal differential. The 10-goal differential with Ecuador seems insurmountable so their best bet is a complete Uruguayan breakdown.
7:00pm ET Argentina v Peru (LIVE on beINSport-1 & ñ)
– Argentina are assured of a place in next year’s World Cup and will likely take this match as a warmup. But even without the injured Lionel Messi, Argentina should cruise through this match and look for motivation to face what will be a very hungry Uruguay team on Tuesday.
Tuesday, October 15, 2013:
.7:30pm ET Chile v Ecuador (LIVE on beINSport-ñ)
.7:30pm ET Paraguay v Colombia (LIVE on beinsportplay.tv)
.7:30pm ET Uruguay v Argentina (LIVE on beINSport-1)
10:15pm ET Peru v Bolivia (LIVE on beinsportplay.tv)